[cvsnt] Changelogs availability and updating from 2.0.58->2.5.x

Ben bda20 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 26 13:06:57 BST 2008

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Arthur Barrett wrote:

>>> I note that there's a cvsnt-2.5.03.2382 RPM available.  Is there a
>>> changelog for what's gone on since the version we currently have
>>> installed.
>
> You mean the source code ?

No, changelogs like most other applications have when they move from version
to version.  A list of what bugs have been squashed, what new features have
been added.  Those kinds of things.  So people know what to expect from the
new release.

> The commercial side keep fairly extensive changelogs, but the open source
> changelog is pretty much limited to what's in the release notes.

OK, then I guess I want the release notes.  I'm happy to trudge through all
of them between 2.0.58 and 2.5.03 if you can point me at where they all are
online.  Thanks!

>> Security fixes I can deal with.  Major changes in functionality leading
>> to current repositories becoming corrupted and clients being no longer
>> able to connect or losing history/state/anything else woe-inducing I
>> can't.
>
> We never plan to add woe to new releases, but occasionally does happen.

*grin*

> Best plan is to test the upgrade on a 'test' box with a copy of the
> current repository.  There is an RC / current testing release on
> cvsnt.org/wiki that will be declared stable in the next few days (though I
> have said that before).

I'm happy just to move to any 2.5.x release.  I can imagine that any
releases past that will be significantly less worrisome to upgrade to.  It's
this first one from 2.0.x to 2.5.x that has me cautious.

>> Watch for the administrative files under CVSROOT.  It wouldn't entirely
>> surprise me if an RPM upgrade blasted them.
>
> No upgrade ever touches the repository.  But /etc/xinetd.d/cvsnt and
> /etc/cvsnt/PServer.example may be blown away.

Those are easy to deal with.  Glad to know I wasn't getting confused.
Given my users tend to use only the barest subset of cvs commands would you
say (in an unofficial and non-binding way) that there shouldn't be any
problem doing the upgrade with regard to repository breakage, access and
client connectivity (rejigging of config files notwithstanding)?

Ben
         Life Is Short.          It's All Good.