[cvsnt] cvs(nt) under both Linux and Windows

Stéphane De Cara stdecara at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 13:11:07 GMT 2008

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

No. Because I guess you don't use the same tools to work with the files,

Actually I do. Most of my CVS files are tex files which I edit with emacs on
both ends. Emacs does a good job dealing with unix/dos end-of-lines and
encodings.

I'd use separate sandboxes under Windows and Linux, and would not allow
> either
> to mess with files/directories of the other - just keep them in sync with
> the server.

I still think that would be nice if the CVS administrative files (those
under CVS/) could be understood by both systems. There could be some
indication stored under CVS/ indicating wether the sandbox was first created
by linux or windows, the type of encoding and the EOL. Using cvsnt on one OS
would just require to decode the CVS files using the appropriate
encoding/EOL.

If something became really cheap lately that's disk space, I see no reason

> to force Linux access a NTFS partition, or worse, use a very unsecure FAT
> partition to store files.
> And I do not know if a sandbox created in Windows is fully compatible with
> one created under Linux, and viceversa.

I agree with your point. But it's not just a matter of disk space.  It's
also a matter of accessing information that is on my disk (NTFS in my case)
and avoiding unnecessary commits/checkouts. I understand that
incompatibilities may come in the way,  but working around them would be
kinda nice.

Regards,

St.