[cvsnt] Run Eclipse formatter on check in

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Mar 25 00:30:28 GMT 2008

Nick Radov wrote:
> "Alexey Panchenko" <alex.panchenko at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.344.1204596764.1277.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...
>> On 3/3/08, Nick Radov <nradov at axolotl.com> wrote:
>>> Not everyone is using Eclipse. We would like to integrate the Eclipse
>>> formatter with CVSNT in order to maintain a consistent code style
>>> regardless
>>> of which editor each developer is using.
>>>
>> If each developer have its own version of code - they will be getting
>> merge
>> conflicts if they modify the same file, diffs will be unusable, etc.
>
> That would only be a problem if they reformat the whole file.

If the server checks in something different to what they have that
breaks the whole process.  It's a problem if any lines are changed at
all - in fact it will become impossible to do to sequential commits on
the same file, because the client won't have the same file as the server.

> I think you misunderstood what I am trying to do. There is no organizational
> problem.

If you have conding standards enforce them - expecting the software to
do it for you is a lot of work and will cause your developers a lot more
inconvenience than simply asking them to do the reformat themselves or
stick to standards.

> It would be unfortunate if there is no way to do that within CVSNT.

You won't find any version control software that supports what you're
after directly.  This is something that can only be solved in two places
reasonable:

1. The developer.
2. The client or IDE.

The server is way too late to be reformatting files.