[cvsnt] FW: Problem branching, then error on commit in CVSNT

Andrew Cushen andrew at cushen.com
Fri May 2 04:10:50 BST 2008

Thanks for the response Arthur,

I have downloaded the latest version of the client and server [2.5.04] on
both PCs, as you suggested, and the problem is still there.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted it to be clear what
I've tried...

Here is where I am: I have successfully created a Branch, and checked it
out, but there are still files missing.

I have the missing files in a backup; I can copy them from the backup into
the sandbox, but I cannot get them from the sandbox to the repository.
Adding them then Committing them doesn't work, and if I try to do an Update,
of course, the files get deleted from my sandbox.

Here is what happens when I copy the file from the backup back to the
sandbox and attempt to Add, then Commit the file:

cvs add -- stock.aspx (in directory C:\working\)
cvs server: scheduling file `stock.aspx' for addition on branch
`RELEASE_5-01-2008'
cvs server: use 'cvs commit' to add this file permanently

> So far so good, right? but then...

cvs commit -m "05/01/2008 - Restoring files from backup" -- stock.aspx (in
directory C:\working\)
cvs server: could not find parsed rcsfile stock.aspx

> If I Remove the file, then try to Add it back, I get:

cvs add stock.aspx
cvs server: nothing known about stock.aspx

> If I try the CVS:Resurrect File Macro, from the WinCVS client, I get:

Resurrection of C:\working\stock.aspx
determining branch...  	RELEASE_5-01-2008
determining revisions...
cvs log -N -rRELEASE_5-01-2008 stock.aspx
cvs server: nothing known about stock.aspx

And yet the ",V" files are there if I look at the repository in Windows
Explorer, and they appear to be the correct version. They also appear to
have the correct metadata, to my completely untrained eye (I don't know
anything about the ",V" file structure). Would it be helpful for you to see
the contents of one of the ",V" files?

And what, exactly, does the message "could not find parsed rcsfile"
**mean**, anyway??

TIA,

-Andrew Cushen
andrew at cushen.com

=======

> cvs server: could not find parsed rcsfile stock.aspx

This bug is fixed in 2.5.04, you can download the RC from here (I think
you'll need the server updated):
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/Download

Regards,

Arthur