[cvsnt] CVS Checkout "-d ." Bug

Hytham.Alihassan at emerson.com Hytham.Alihassan at emerson.com
Tue May 13 21:23:11 BST 2008

Hi All,

I am a Firmware Engineer working on BIOS-level software for Embedded
Computing products. We currently maintain our code in a traditional CVS
repository. We hope to migrate to a more permanent solution at some
point in the future, but in the meantime we are trying to temporarily
extend the life of CVS at our sites until the logistics are resolved
with the future repository solution.

Until recently, we have primarily accessed the CVS repository from local
servers only, all of which have an nfs mount of the repository that all
users have access to. We are using file-based locking and, although a
pserver is available, I am not aware of anyone who uses it regularly.

In the last few months, we have found the need for other engineers to
access our CVS repository remotely. These engineers would connect either
using CVS_RSH="ssh" and a local build server, or the pserver that was
previously setup. However, we have found that with many of our presently
existing code modules the checkout fails to retreive certain files due
to the way that CVS handles "co -d ." when commands are received using a
remote access protocol vs. a locally mounted repository.

With the standard CVS servers and clients, we receive the following
warning messages:
cvs server: existing repository /home/source/repository/tmon does not
match /home/source/repository/tmon/uboot/uboot_1_1_4
cvs server: ignoring module uboot_1_1_4_general

With CVSNT, we receive the following warning messages:
cvs server: warning: ./CHANGELOG is not (any longer) pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./COPYING is not (any longer) pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./CREDITS is not (any longer) pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./MAINTAINERS is not (any longer) pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./MAKEALL is not (any longer) pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./Makefile is not (any longer) pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./README is not (any longer) pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./arm_config.mk is not (any longer) pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./config.mk is not (any longer) pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./i386_config.mk is not (any longer) pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./m68k_config.mk is not (any longer) pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./microblaze_config.mk is not (any longer)
pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./mips_config.mk is not (any longer) pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./mkconfig is not (any longer) pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./nios2_config.mk is not (any longer) pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./nios_config.mk is not (any longer) pertinent
cvs server: warning: ./ppc_config.mk is not (any longer) pertinent

In addition, with both clients we also receive the following warning
messages:
cvs checkout: move away include/linux/byteorder/big_endian.h; it is in
the way
C include/linux/byteorder/big_endian.h

I convinced my manager to purchase the CVS Suite so that I could find
out if CVSNT would fix the above issues, but unfortunately it does not.
I know that others have had this issue, but I am not aware of any
solution. Would it be possible to at minimum provide a compatibility
option to support checking out code remotely without having to modify
our modules file? Is it possible to create a fix for this and, if so,
how much effort would it be? If necessary, I can contribute, but I would
like to know if others have tried addressing this in the past and would
appreciate some guidance.

Thanks,
Hytham