[cvsnt] Branching/Tagging Best Practices

Ryan Parlee rparlee-cvsnt at flyinghippo.com
Fri May 16 06:56:53 BST 2008

Andreas,

Your setup is similar to ours. Except that we practice a 2 week sprint cycle
in which we "release" every 2 weeks.  Once we make a release, this goes to
testing.  During the next 2 week period, the previous feature set is tested
and any bug fixes are made on the branch.  Simultaneously, the new feature
set is committed to HEAD.  I think what I'm describing is exactly like what
you are describing except that we force ourselves to release every 2 weeks
instead of just focusing on the next minor/major release.

Does it cause problems having lots of tags?  In our system, we are creating
2 tags and 1 new branch every 2 weeks:

So every two weeks:
1. HEAD is tagged as "release-1_0_3-tag"
2. HEAD is branched as "release-1_0_3"
3. Branch "release-1_0_1" is tagged as "release-1_0_2-tag" and released to
our deployment server to be sent to our customer.

Thanks,
Ryan

news:g0gjjv$u80$1 at paris.nodomain.org...