[cvsnt] Branching/Tagging Best Practices

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon May 19 19:43:00 BST 2008

Ryan,

> My version of cvsnt didn't have the -B option on commit.  I
> downloaded and
> installed the latest release and am beginnging to play with it.

OK

> I don't understand, however, the purpose behind this option.
> Can you please
> tell me what this is used for and why it's important.

I thought I already had.

> Also,
> internally does
> it work as any other tag except that it's just applied to the
> files which
> are committed?

No.

> Should we be using the -B option on all commits when doing
> bug fixing on a
> branch?

If you want things like TortoiseCVS history and revision graph to
automatically show which bug a change is related to then yes.  If you
want to merge changesets (bugs) from one branch/trunk to another
branch/trunk then yes.  If you want to do query reports based on
changesets/bugs then yes (eg: average number of commits/changes per bug,
average number of files changed per bug, average number of developers
per bug).

Also using the bug id also makes it very easy to write an integration to
a job/issue/defect system like Bugzilla/Mantis/Jira (which is what we
provide in the commercial editions of CVS Suite Server).

Regards,

Arthur Barrett