[cvsnt] Problems with CVSNT under Linux

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue May 20 19:36:58 BST 2008

Stefano Regno wrote:
> Hi all
> I installed CVSNT into an ubuntu server.
> it gives me thet error:
> 1)When i try remotly (i use SSH authentication) do cvs init it give's me
> this error:
> stefano at stefano~/Video[ ssh-mode ] >cvs init
> cvs [server aborted]: Protocol error: Root request missing
>
> The Version of CVSNT thet running is: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT)
> 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2151 (client/server)
> could sameone explaine me how solve this problem?
> Tnx Stefano

init is a local command, not a remote one.  For a repository to work it
must be registered and configured on the server.  There is a limited
ability for the admin to enable remote initialisation within a defined
sandbox in later versions of cvsnt (yours is quite old and does not
support remote init at all) but it's not widely used.

There are security issues with enabling such an option, even with
enforced sandboxing - the ability to create scripts that can be run as
other users (in CVSROOT) is something that needs to be carefully
monitored by the administrator.