[cvsnt] How to convince developers

Bryce Schober bryce.schober at dynonavionics.com
Fri May 23 16:09:07 BST 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 6:09 AM, Arthur Barrett <
arthur.barrett at march-hare.com> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> > If this is the wrong list for this question please accept my apology.
>
> I think advocacy is a reasonable topic for the list.
>
> > How can I convince our developers (who are currently using
> > SVN) to switch to CVS, which in my opinion seems to be more
> > stable and reliable.
>
> CVSNT features are geared towards fulfilling the technical requirements
> of commercial developers - merge tracking, failsafe audit, support for
> reserver/unreserved etc are not so relavent for a handful of open source
> programmers - but are very relavent for corporate governance.

My $0.02: CVSNT, though it is open-source, has a lock-in problem. No other
SCM seems to be interested in converting from it, so if for whatever reason,
you decide that CVSNT is not for you, and you've actually used some of its
features that give it an advantage, you'll have a royal pain of a time
migrating to anything else (without paying someone to do it for you. I
understand that this is not CVSNT's problem, but is a practical issue for
its users. For myself, staying with the mainstream of SCM choices is a far
safer bet.

--
Bryce Schober