[cvsnt] import statement just hangs

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue May 27 01:03:55 BST 2008

Siegfried,

> I've been checking out and checking in code to existing
> repositories and
> cvsnt v2.5.02 has been working fine. However, the following
> statement just
> hangs:
>
> cvs -d :pserver:siegfried:topsecret at CVS_WXS/CVSNT/WXS import
> -Cd . root
> trunk

Upgrade to the RC of 2.5.04 available on the www.cvsnt.org/wiki web
site.  IF the problem still occurs in that release we can ask some more
questions and look into it.  2.5.02 is quite old now.

> Incidently, when I do cvs --help import I see the second
> parameter is vendor
> tag. What is the vendor tag?
>
> And what is the release tag? I think the release tag shows up
> when you do a
> branch.

The 'import' command is for creating 'vendor branches' it is not
actually an import at all.  In 2.5.03 we tried to generalise it a little
and removed the requirement for 'release tag' and 'vendor tag' but the
history of the command is the same - it's not designed to import, it's
designed to create a vendor branch.

Regards,

Arthur