[cvsnt] cvsnt on ubuntu linux (8.04) cannot connect to host connection refused

nick humphrey nick.c.humphrey at gmail.com
Tue May 27 13:38:07 BST 2008

i've been trying to set up cvsnt all day on an ubuntu linux
installation (8.04 hardy heron, ip 10.0.0.64) and i'm stuck in the
authorizing stage. when i try to connect from an external eclipse
client (ip 10.0.0.45) i get the following error:
could not connect to :pserver:myuser at 10.0.0.64:/CvsHome/RepositoryHome
cannot connect to host: connection refused

i'm actually trying to migrate our cvs repository from windows (winxp) to linux.

this is what i have done so far:
1. installed cvsnt:
sudo apt-get install cvsnt

cvs -version reads:
Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2382 (client/server)

2. i copied our repository from windows to linux, so i have the
following setup/path now on linux:
/media/backup/Kildekode/CvsHome/RepositoryHome/

inside the RepositoryHome is among other things the CVSROOT folder.

3. i edited the inetd.conf file:
sudo nano -w /etc/inetd.conf

and gave it the following content:
cvspserver      stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/bin/cvs authserver

i read somewhere else that it should look like this:
cvspserver      stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/bin/cvsnt cvsnt
-f authserver

it doesn't seem to matter either way, neither configs work. (which is correct?)

after editing, to restart the cvslockd i run:
sudo /etc/init.d/cvsnt restart

4. i edit the PServer file:
sudo nano -w /etc/cvsnt/PServer

and give it the following content:
Repository0=/media/backup/Kildekode/CvsHome/RepositoryHome
Repository0Name=/CvsHome/RepositoryHome

and then restart cvslockd

5. i add my user to the cvs admin list:
sudo nano -w /media/backup/Kildekode/CvsHome/RepositoryHome/CVSROOT/admin

i type the following in on the first line then save:
myuser

6. i add my user to the cvs writers list (is this necessary?):
sudo nano -w /media/backup/Kildekode/CvsHome/RepositoryHome/CVSROOT/writers
myuser

7. i set my user password:
cvs -d :local:/media/backup/Kildekode/CvsHome/RepositoryHome passwd -a myuser

i enter my password at the prompt.

the following file is then created automatically:
/media/backup/Kildekode/CvsHome/RepositoryHome/CVSROOT/passwd

and has the following content:
myuser:vBIrfRbxZTT..

8. i check the repository permissions to make sure my user has them:
ls -la /media/backup/Kildekode/CvsHome/RepositoryHome

all of the files are owned by:
myuser myuser

9. when i telnet from the console on localhost for cvsnt:
telnet localhost 2402

it reads:
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
CVSLock 2.2 Ready

10. i check the services file to see that cvspserver is there:
less /etc/services |grep cvs

and it is:
cvspserver	2401/tcp			# CVS client/server operations
cvspserver	2401/udp

11. but when i try to log in even from the localhost:
cvs -d :pserver:localhost:/media/backup/Kildekode/CvsHome/RepositoryHome login

i'm prompted to enter my password:
Logging in to :pserver:myuser at localhost:2401:/media/backup/Kildekode/CvsHome/RepositoryHome
CVS Password:

but then it fails:
connect to localhost:2401 failed: Connection refused

i get the same reaction when i try from an external client as well.

what am i missing?
do you see any wrong configuration?
is some kind of ubuntu security crap stopping communication through
port 2401/2402?
any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Nick Humphrey

--