[cvsnt] checkout renamed files fails in RC9

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Nov 4 10:34:05 GMT 2008

Gabriel,

> cvs co -r 1.1 -p test-rename/new.txt : fails
> cvs co -r 1.2 -p test-rename/new.txt : works
> cvs co -r 1.3 -p test-rename/new.txt : fails

I forgot to mention something important here.

If you are comparing renamed files it is generally best to use the tag
rather than the revision number.  This works in TCVS too.  This
definitely works in 2.5.04.

The problem with revision numbers in CVSNT renames is that the directory
has a different revision number to each of the files in the directory,
so we have to find the directory revision by using the date of the file
revision that introduced the new name.  Hence if you performed the above
test where each revision was created on different days eg: 1.3 was
created the day after revision 1.2; then you could get a different
result (though again regardless 1.3 should pick up the right name just
as revision 1.2 does).

EVSCM does not have this problem because the directory revision umber
and the file revision number are identical.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett