[cvsnt] Betr.: Re: March-Hare message into my commit messages

Jan Keirse jan.keirse at tvh.be
Fri Nov 7 15:15:31 GMT 2008

 cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org schreef op 07/11/2008 15:43:36:

> Clóvis Garcia Marcondes wrote:
> > Tony,
> >

> > I got your point but should be nice at least to advise when you change

> > the way the product works. I just asked because I´m testing the new
> > version together with the CVS Suite Trial exactly to see if it is
> > interesting for me to buy the comercial version and thought it could
be
> > a side effect of that. But if it is a new March Hare policy you should

> > at least warned about that.
> >
> It was mentioned in the release notes for the release candidates and the

> final release notes.
>
> It's really not a change in the way the product works.. it still does
> exactly the same things as always - I'm against any kind of crippling or

> time limiting in software where people may be relying on it continuing
> to work.

True but it's annoying. It adds commercial messages unrelated to the code
in the repository that will likely stay there forever, even when the user
eventually buys the product (ok, it's possible to change the message, but
anyway). I understand the need to get people to invest in cvsnt, but I too
fear this is going to have an adverse effect.
Either from people running to subversion, the `real free' sollution
already sounds much more `sexy', or worse even if someone gets sick of it
and forks (although I doubt a fork would be successfull given that
everything is still under GPL.)

When X changed the license everyone ran to alternatives and X.org
essentially replaced it. This has happened for other products. While
there's no license change involved here it is a policy change, the request
for financial support is in my opinion now not polite. I requested my
company to get a license based on the polite mails on this list recently
and they did.
I personally wouldn't ask it again if the message was not in a friendly
mail to the list but in an annoying message in my revision history.

ps.: While we payed for a commercial license we are still just running the
free version, we don't need support, nor do we need a special build, even
if we have access to it. Getting a license was like sending a `thank you'
greeting card.

Kind Regards,

JAN KEIRSE
ICT-DEPARTMENT
Software quality & Systems: Software Engineer

**** DISCLAIMER ****
<A HREF="http://www.tvh.be/newen/pages/emaildisclaimer.html">
http://www.tvh.be/newen/pages/emaildisclaimer.html </A>

"This message is delivered to all addressees subject to the conditions
set forth in the attached disclaimer, which is an integral part of this
message."