[cvsnt] March-Hare message into my commit messages

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Nov 10 12:43:45 GMT 2008

Thanks all on your feedback about the advertising in the commit messages.

I have created a new FAQ to make it clearer how to disable this:
http://www.march-hare.com/cvspro/faq/faq2.asp#30

Let me also take this opportunity to clear up some issues raised in this
thread:

1) we are no longer satified with the open source model.

Free Open Source Software is a very valuable commodity and allows developers
to customise code (and learn from looking at well developed mature code) so
that they can implement optimal software based systems.  That model of
software development is important and satisfying to both Tony Hoyle and
myself and is unaffected by a few lines that add annoying behaviour.  Mark
D. Baushke (one of the original CVS developers from 20 odd years ago)
pointed out recently on the gnu.cvs.help newsgroup that in his opinion CVS
should ALWAYS be built from source by the person installing it.  If you are
building from source when you install then removing a line or two is pretty
easy.

2) I bought one copy of Suite to support the project.

Those people such as Jan Keirse who supported March Hare Software by
purchasing one or more CVS Suite licenses can use the CVS Suite code which
does NOT include the advertising and is much more stable and includes
features such as changeset/bug from message.  In fact Jan Keirse can use the
one copy purchased for as many users desired provided that the commercial
components like Workspace Manager, Bugzilla/Mantis/Jira Integration etc are
only used by a single named user (and they don't expect us to answer 100
users worth of questions for the price of 1 license).  Furthermore we have
also donated copies of CVS Suite to our more regular contributors (though if
you are a 'regular contributor' who as done so in the past 12 months then we
probably have not caught up with you yet).

3) WinCVS and TortoiseCVS do not support the -M notation

The 'combined client' installer includes our own TortoiseCVS and WinCVS
builds and these *should* both use the -M workaround, but currently do not,
I intend to fix that next week.

4) We are annoying users

The advertising message has been carefully designed so that the majority of
the people who will be annoyed by it are those who we hoped to annoy: those
who have not contributed to the Free Open Source software development (in
code, support, documentation or testing) - or put it another way - those who
download the MSI and never contact us again.

5) Annoying users wont help make sales

I personally would have very much preferred to avoid having to take such an
overt advertising measure as adding advertising to the commit message,
however the thread titled 'Help the CVSNT Project' between me and Luigi D.
Sandon made it very clear to me that organisations who use CVSNT as the
cornerstone of their software configuration management process are choosing
to spend on 'non-core' tools (such as GUIs) when these tools are irrelevant
without the Verstion Control engine.  E.g.: if Luigi D. Sandon now chooses
to switch the versioning engine to Subversion then those client tools are
irrelevant.

6) EVS

Since Tony has spent a large part of his personal time as well as his
professional time writing EVS he and I would like to see open source CVSNT
users begin to migrate to EVS if possible, and I may even change the
advertising so it does not insert when using EVS Server from CVSNT client so
there is another reason to switch.  EVS allows developers to use Subversion
or CVS/CVSNT clients and will hopefully combat the misinformation out there
about CVS vs CVSNT vs SVN.  If you use only the 'CVSNT' side of EVS then it
is all open source (though we are not currently providing an MSI for that),
and if you are a developer who wants to write a Version Control system then
the EVSAPI is open source, but if you just want to download and run the .EXE
it is NOT open source.

7) In conclusion....

We have many commercial-only customers who are unnaffected by the
advertising, and have been the ones paying for the development of CVSNT for
4 years.  I am convinced that the 1.4 million people who only download the
Free Open Source CVSNT every year can afford to pay a little towards its
future development, and if a good percentage do we could afford to remove
the advertising again in just a few weeks.    I will review how well the
advertising is working and determine any changes over the next month or so
(such as Clóvis Garcia Marcondes's suggestion to have the client -m work
like -M).

Regards,

Arthur Barrett