[cvsnt] March-Hare message into my commit messages

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Nov 11 19:39:43 GMT 2008

Luigi,

> If I were March-Hare I'd focus on the server
> .
> .
> .
>  instead of adding three different clients, two of which open source.

OK - I'm going to keep on saying this: The advertising is entirely about encouraging more people to support the project financially, the project which has supplied audit, changesets, access control and multi site and more.

Here is an analogy:  Where I live there are lots of charities who collect money on the street, and if you put in a donation of $2 you do so because you've seen the work that they do and you want to see it continue.  However when you pay your $2 they give you a pen/sticker/toy/sweet.

Taking the analogy a step further: Luigi (and others) appear to be suggesting that I should just take a sweet from the cupboard at home or from the counter at the video store (who for unknown reasons gives away free sweets) or if I really want to pay $2 to go to the Darrel Lea chocolate shop and buy one there.

THIS MISSES THE POINT ENTIRELY.

I gave $2 to the person not for the sweet but to support their work - and I got a sweet as a 'thank you'.  It wasn't a high quality sweet and it wasn't a flavour or brand that I'd buy, but I ate it anyway and it was nice or I pocketed it and gave it to my nephew.

The analogy can be taken further.  The charity does not collect donations when I see them out doing their work.  They collect the money by putting up big banners in the city in the middle of the day that make me feel a little guilty for not contributing 'just $2 to save the whales/homeless/veterans sir'.

This is what we are doing: we have added advertising to deliberately target those people who download the installer, not build the source and who like using CVSNT and encourage them to pay a little towards the costs and we are giving a little thank you in return.  If CruiseControl works for you - go ahead and use it.  If you really want some other GUI - go ahead and buy it.  This is nothing at all about what other things you want to spend your time and money on and is entirely about whether you are going to be a contributor to CVSNT.

Or switch off the message (read the FAQ) or switch to EVS that doesn't have advertising in the commit message but it's got all the features in CVSNT including Audit, Changesets, Access Control etc and a lot of those being asked for recently such  as SVN client compatibility and more.

We'll probably add a 'buy CVSNT' item to the store for the people who claim they are incapable of understanding the above message or whom just want CVSNT 2.5.04 to download without the commit message and no free add-ons.  Those people can buy one copy or as many copies as they like.  The price will probably be the same as CVS Suite or we may provide a version without the eBook for around EUR60.  Again - no changes until EVS is released next week.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett