[cvsnt] What is in the source repository?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Fri Nov 14 11:39:05 GMT 2008

Andreas Tscharner wrote:
> Arthur Barrett wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> EVS Server (CM Server) will come in two editions: a 30 day 'Trial'
>> and a 'Pay Per User'.
>
> Now I am confused.
> This sounds pretty much like a closed source model. So: What is that
> code in the repository?
> Or is it still open source, but you don't provide any binaries any more
> (except paid ones)?

It's mostly (but not completely) a difference in marketing rather than
development model.

The server is open source.. that is the EVS API, the CVSNT and SVN
protocol layers and most of the other stuff is there.  I still spend 90%
of my development time on opensource code.

Some of the modules - eg. the HTML control panel, the service
dispatcher, and the migration tool are currently under the standard
march hare license.  Probably the TFS modules will be as well (not sure
about that one).

The trial release will be a free download as before.  The difference
from cvsnt is in the licensing terms for the server binaries.

For someone like yourself that's perfectly capable of building and
supporting your own version that means there's no change, other than you
   lose some of the more advanced features.

evs may end up being perceived as a more 'closed' model but I suspect
it's a lot more sustainable as a project long term, and it means we can
put more resources into the opensource code for both evs and cvsnt and
everyone wins.