[cvsnt] Question about update conflict

Duc Hoang dah at FISCHERINTERNATIONAL.COM
Wed Oct 8 21:56:56 BST 2008

Hi,

We have a large project stored in CVSNT that contains both binary and
non-binary text files. Among those are some files that have .dat
extension which contain sql scripts. When adding these files to the
repository, they are automatically categorized as binary by CVS. I have
one of these dat files in my working directory and the file has been
changed locally.  Another developer also modified the same file and
checked his changes to CVS. When I went and updated the file I could see
in the update log that a conflict has occurred.  However in my working
directory, the local working file has now been renamed, the file I
wanted to update is now the latest version from CVS. Technically my
changes have been overwritten. Also it is showing the modified icon on
the file (the orange icon with a white arrow) instead of the conflict
icon (the red icon).

The question I have here is if there's a way to configure CVS so that it
does not treat the .dat file as text rather than binary files. If this
is not possible, can we some how force CVS to show the red conflict icon
to flag the user that this file has a conflict instead of just showing
the orange modified icon. I have tried to include the wildcard statement
(*.dat           -m 'MERGE') in cvswrapper but this did not work. I'm
running windows XP and Tortoise CVS client. Please help.

Thanks in advance,

Duc Hoang

Fischer International Corporation
www.fischerinternational.com
<https://mail.fischerinternational.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://
www.fischerinternational.com>
Telephone: (239) 436-2729 (Work)

Email: dah at fischerinternational.com
<mailto:dah at fischerinternational.com>

Secure Your Risk. Increase Your Bottom Line. (tm)