[cvsnt] how to disable line ending translations?

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz arekm at maven.pl
Thu Oct 23 09:32:22 BST 2008

On Thursday 23 of October 2008, Arthur Barrett wrote:
> Arkadiusz,
>
> > The problem happens when I want to commit file (that file is
> > a patch) with
> > crlf line endings but cvsnt converts that to lf thus breaking
> > the patch file.
> >
> > Now you could ask why the patch has crlf line endings inside.
> > That's because
> > source files that the patch is going to be applied to have
> > crlf line ending
> > already.
>
> Well aside from the whole question of why you are committing a .patch
> rather than applying a patch and committing the changed file...

We use CVS for developing Linux distro. We keep "spec" files with rules on how
to build some programs and "patch" files with fixes/changes that are applied
to that programs source code in cvs but we do not develop these programs in
first place.

In short: we keep spec + patches but fetch tarballs from remote locations like
http://www.cvsnt.org/archive/%{name}-%{version}.tar.gz

Now what if source code files in cvsnt-*.tar.gz had crlf line endings? Our
patches for cvsnt would need crlf endings - otherwise applying patch would
fail.

> > What I'm trying to archieve is to stop cvsnt from doing any
> > line ending
> > conversions "by default" because it has no way to know when
> > such conversion
> > is sane and when it's not.
>
> Again - the conversions are set up for a 'typical' user and it is sane
> (and safe) to assume that on windows files have cr+lf but on linux they
> are LF.

Not safe in scenario described above.

> If the file you are committing is 'new' then just do this:
> cvs add -kD filename.ext
> cvs commit -m "this file will always have windows line endings"
> filename.ext

> Documentation:
> http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/html/Substitution-modes.html

Uhm, no "keep line endings untouched" mode. Seems impossible to get this
behaviour currently.

> Arthur

Thanks,
--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz        PLD/Linux Team