[cvsnt] 2.5.04.3125 (RC8) Very slow to start processing!

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Oct 27 18:52:14 GMT 2008

Andy,

> I have just had a chance to look at CVSNT 2.5.04.3125 and
> found it to be
> very slow (~28 seconds for 'cvs ls') compared to ~1 second
> 2.5.03.2382.
.
.
.

> set CVSROOT=:sspi:falcon:/KeywprdTesting
>
> cvs -ttt ls (Started at 07:22:15)
.
.
.

> 07:22:30:   -> Tracelevel set to 3.  PID is 2292

That is 15 seconds to start - looks like anti-virus to me.  Often
disabling anti-virus still causes it to run - preferably uninstall it.

> 07:22:30:   -> client start - client_protocol->connect
> 07:22:43:   -> client start - Loop, getting responses from the server.

That is very wrong - that connect should be instant with don't resolve
client names enabled.  I suppose it could be antivirus interfering with
the load of sspi.dll, or a major network fault.

> The following is being used at the Command Prompt on the server with
> similar results (only 13 seconds).
>
> set CVSROOT=:local:D:/CVSNTRepos/KeywordTesting
>
> cvs -ttt ls (Started at 08:11:00)
>
> 08:11:12:   -> Tracelevel set to 3.  PID is 1484

12 of those 13 seconds are waiting for it to load - very very very wrong
- CVSNT isn't even executing - look at the device or anti-virus
software.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett