[cvsnt] CVSNT and TortouiseCVS question

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri Oct 31 20:29:38 GMT 2008

Brian,

> I'm using TortoiseCVS 1.10.8. My clients are on WindowsXP
> SP3. My CVS server is Concurrent Versions System 2.5.03
> (Scorpio) Build 2382. CVSRoot value: N/A
>
> My issue is relatively trivial. Clients are having
> significant speed issues with checking out a directory
> directly to a Flash Drive. Compared to checking out directly
> to a hard drive, the speeds are much slower. To quantify, I
> would say about 2 to 3 times longer.

What is the EXACT command that you are running to checkout (incuding the
CVSROOT)?

How long does it take in seconds - if it takes 0.5 seconds to checkout
on HDD and 1.5 seconds to checkout to the flash drive then that is 3
times slower - but perfectly normal.  If it takes 1 hour to checkout to
HDD and 3 hours to the flash drive then that probably indicates
something is wrong.

Have you tried disabling virus scanning?

Run the checkout command from the DOS prompt not from within TCVS.
Enable 'clients are allowed to trace server' on the CVSNT Server Control
Panel and then on the client add the -ttt switch - at each debug the
current time is printed - are there any noticable time 'gaps'?  Eg:

  cvs -ttt -d :sspi:myhost.mydomain.org:/myrepo mymodule

> because older versions handled this seamlessly. We have tried
> this with versions 1.10.8 and 1.10.9 in combination with
> different host computers. Still the issue persists. The

They are really really really old - I don't even think there was a CVSNT
1.10.9...

Regards,

Arthur