[cvsnt] Switch to user failed due to configuration error

Matija Gaspersic matija34 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 07:57:43 BST 2008

I have the same problem as Sanjeev Taria. I am searching for a solution to
this problem for over a week now. I have tried the solution that Arthur
sent...and...i worked for a while :)

I have two additional windows accounts: "cvsuser" and "cvsadmin". Server
machine is Windows XP Pro x64. The connection to server is tested with the
console (cmd.exe) in the same machine. Antivirus is not installed, simple
file sharing is disabled.
Server settings: default

1. I create a repository - set it as default and initialise.
2. in the console I set "cvsroot=:sspi:host:/repository"
3. add cvsuser: "cvs passwd -a cvsuser" and set its password
4. I create alias users: "cvs passwd -r cvsuser -a user1"
5. set "cvsroot=:pserver:user1 at host:/repository"
6. try to login with "cvs login"

Win XP pro 32bit operating system:
    login is ok

Win XP pro 64 bit operating system:
    After entering the password i get:            cvs [login aborted]:
cvsuser: Switch to user failed due to configuration error. Contact your
System Administrator.
This error persists regarding which user i choose for login.
If I enter wrong password i get authorization failed error so connection is
made...

The soluton that Arthur sent:
1. I create a repositroy - set it as default and initialise
2. in the console I set "cvsroot=:pserver:cvsuser at host:/repository
3. try to login with "cvs login"
    login is ok
4. create alias users: "cvs passwd -r cvsuser -a user1"
5. set "cvsroot=:pserver:user1 at host:/repository"
6. try to login with "cvs login"

Win XP pro 64 bit operating system:
    After entering the password i get:          cvs [login aborted]:
cvsuser: Switch to user failed due to configuration error. Contact your
System Administrator.

I can still login with "cvsuser".

The problem persist only on win xp pro 64bit. The same procedure on the same
machine on xp pro 32bit works without a problem - but the 32bit system is
not an option...

I have tested cvsnt stable 2.5.03.2382 and beta 2.5.04.3125 and the results
are the same.

Please advise further steps.

Regards, Matija Gaspersic