[cvsnt] Weird problem with commit; nothing known about -m?

Jason Cipriani jason.cipriani at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 03:49:58 BST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Jason Cipriani
<jason.cipriani at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have CVSNT 2.5.03 on Windows XP SP3. I have this problem where, when
> I try to commit a certain complicated project, I get an error like
> this:
>
> cvs server: nothing known about '-m'
> cvs [server aborted]: Couldn't open RCS file /cvsrepo/The log message.
> ,v: Invalid argument

I already figured it out. This was happening for some reason because I
was mistakenly trying to do the commit from a directory that didn't
have a CVS directory in it, e.g. trying to commit from in the
"repository" directory here:

    repository
        project1
            CVS
        project2
            CVS

I don't know why that error was caused by that but doing the commit
from the correct locations (the project1 and project2 directories)
worked just fine. Weird, but my mistake, and at least it was an easy
problem.

Jason