[cvsnt] Questions and problems according moudles and modules2

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri Sep 26 11:41:57 BST 2008

Attila,

> Module TEST wants to use a shared code from ASICAPI
> Module ASICAPI uses a shared code from module UMODULES. In
> such configuration I get always an error

Any error in particular, or just an error?

Obviously exact error message and the exact command that caused them are essential in diagnosing problems.

> modules2:
>
> [CVS_ASICAPI_DB]
> "SourceCode/ASIC_API/HAL" = "CVS_UMODULES_DB/ASIC_Drivers/HAL"
>
> [CVS_TEST_DB]
> "SourceCode/ASICAPI_LIB" = "CVS_ASICAPI_DB/Release/ASICAPI_LIB"

I can't think of any reason off the top of my head why that wouldn't work - but why not simplify it:

[CVS_ASICAPI_DB]
"SourceCode/ASIC_API/HAL" = "CVS_UMODULES_DB/ASIC_Drivers/HAL"

[CVS_TEST_DB]
"SourceCode/ASICAPI_LIB" = "CVS_UMODULES_DB/ASIC_Drivers/HAL/Release/ASICAPI_LIB"

> 2. It worked I was happy I thought the suffering is over. BUT
> when now I try to tag the folder in
> CVS_ASICAPI_DB/SourceCode/ASIC_API/HAL (which contains
> several subdirectories) I got an error on a subdirectory on a
> file: error file not found. But the file is there.... Any idea?

Exact command - exact error?  Does rtag work?  If you enable tracing on the server then trace it what are the last few lines of the trace?

> 3. Last question we are using 2 repositories and it is
> possible that we need shared source code from one repository
> to the other but neither modules2 or modules supports this. Any idea?

Merge the two repositories and use ACLs the refine access.

> I would be very glad if someone could guide me what do I do wrong.
> BTW my CVSNT version is 2.5.03 build 2382 (would it help an
> update to the beta build)?

Any fixes would be made to 2.5.04 - please retest using the latest RC as both server and client (copy your repository to a test machine if you are not ready to make the upgrade permanent):
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/Download

We've always found that modules/modules2 are not as flexible as we'd like them, hence why EVSCM (previously CVSNT 3.1) has replaced them with "links".

Regards,

Arthur