[cvsnt] Removing a file from an existing tag

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Apr 1 22:56:41 BST 2009

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 15:57:31 +0530, nitesh bansal
<nitesh.bansal at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I am using CVS to maintain my project.I have applied many tags on my code to
>differentiate between different versions.The mistake i made that i checked
>in binary files which are consuming lots of space.I want to remove the
>binary files from the CVS but dont want any change in revision history and
>the tags applied.Please suggest me the best way to do it.

CVS does not work like that. There is no tag that contains files,
instead files have "tag" property values.

If you set a tag across a sandbox then all files will store that tag
at the precise revision number they hold at the moment. At a later
time if you update to this tag you will get back all files to the
revision they held at the time the tag was applied. Consider a tag as
a snapshot in time.

If you really do want to get rid of the binary files from now on then
you can simply do a CVS remove on them and commit. THis works only if
you are currently on HEAD or on the tip of a branch. Then they will be
gone from your future sandboxes unless you update to a tag name, in
which case the old binaries will reappear.

Notice that if you work with branches the approach will be slightly
different because a file may be CVS removed on one branch while still
existing on another.

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)