[cvsnt] Betr.: CVSNT to CVS

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Apr 8 11:23:30 BST 2009

Peter Crowther wrote:
>> From: Tony Hoyle Doesn't matter to us - since all clients are equal
>> if someone wants to do something not supported on one clent they
>> just use a different one.
>
> *chuckle* I hope your product manager has flagged that one for
> review.  May I suggest reading up on "the curse of knowledge" and
> re-evaluating it?

I stand by it.  This isn't limiting their choice, just expanding it.

A cvsnt client can't copy a subdirectory, and svn client can.  The cvsnt
user has two choices (a) do it the old way, copy/add the files, or (b)
walk over to the nearest svn user, ask them to copy it, and do an update
on his own workstation.

People get stuck in their ways (this is part of the reason that evs is
so nice, as multiple dev groups don't need to have an argument over
whether to use cvsnt or svn or whatever, as happens currently).

So a hardcore cvsnt user would choose (a) every time.  If this is a
large tree they're copying it'll take them a while, but they can do it.
  Someone with a bit of flexibility would choose (b).  They might even
choose to switch their sandbox to something else permanently - which
they can do without affecting their teammates or the project as a whole
(except the time taken to switch, which of course might by itself
preclude such an action).