[cvsnt] Can the user have no write access to the repository drive and still commit files?

Peter Crowther peter.crowther at melandra.com
Fri Aug 28 07:57:31 BST 2009

2009/8/27 Tzamouranis, Yannis <Yannis.Tzamouranis at aegon.com>

> Assume the repository is this: B:\Repository
>
> The old file system, B:\OtherStuff is being depleted and used to
> populate the new repository.
>
> At this point, I would like to remove write access of all users from
> B:\repository so as to force them to use CVS to check in and check out
> files.
>
> When the access to B:\Repository was reduced to Read Only, I could 'add'
> but no longer 'commit' files through CVS.

CVS is a client-server protocol and should be used as such.  So, as a very
fast guide:

1) DO NOT share B:\Repository using a Windows share.

2) Make sure you set up an alias for the repository when you set up the
CVSNT server on the XP box.  You did install the CVSNT server on that box,
right?

3) Allow write access for the users to the files in the repo.

4) Use a CVSROOT of the form :sspi:NAME_OF_XP_BOX:/RepoAlias to access the
repository.

- Peter