[cvsnt] CVSNT 2.5.04 build 3236 server really slow

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Mon Feb 2 13:19:53 GMT 2009

> From: Arthur Barrett
> Yuda Sidi,
>
> > This server is not connected to the internet.  The DNS is configured
> > properly forward and reverse.
> >
> > "ping yahoo.com" returns with an error message after 3 seconds.
> > "ping -a 199.7.71;190" returns from the reverse DNS after 5 seconds.
>
> Then something is really really wrong with both your forward
> and reverse DNS.
>
> Please fix your DNS before proceeding any further.  PING time
> for yahoo should be no more than 200ms:

Arthur, the OP stated clearly that the server is *not* connected to the Internet, so I'd expect pings to all Internet sites to fail?

I'm somewhat more interested as to how a "correctly configured" DNS for this environment would either take 3 seconds to fail, or return an IP address that can't then be pinged.  Surely it should fail immediately without returning an address?  So I agree with you that the DNS needs work, just not about the symptom :-).

                - Peter