[cvsnt] Switching from CVS to CVSNT

Rez P pons32 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 22:36:55 GMT 2009

Hell All,

We're considering switching our version control from CVS 1.10.x to CVSNT's latest version on our RedHat Enterprise Linux server. Our repository will be served on the linux server and users will login from their Winodws desktops via WinCVS.

1-Is it possible to switch from CVS 1.10.x to CVSNT w/o compromising the repository structure or format?

2-Does anything special need to be done to the repository or are both flavors of CVS able to read the repository universally w/o any additional formatting or tweaking?

3-Once we switch, is there any way of going back to CVS or switch to Subversion w/o tweaking the repository or does CVSNT has some proprietary format and won't allow you to switch back?

4-The reason we're switching is because CVS via Pserver method doesn't allow users to change their password w/o logging into the server and the CVS user group running as root in the background has access to all sort of things.  We're considering CVSNT because of its active directory capabilities.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Rez