[cvsnt] Problem in debian

Jack, Cao Cu user at domain.invalid
Tue Feb 24 16:38:15 GMT 2009

Hi Claudio,

Please check file "cvsnt" in /etc/xinet.d/cvsnt and "xinetd.conf" or
"inetd.conf" on the server.
Example :
CVSNT file:
-----------
service cvspserver
		{
		socket_type = stream
		wait = no
		server = /usr/bin/cvsnt
		server_args = --allow-root=/demo -f pserver
		env = 'HOME=/demo'
		log_type        = FILE /var/log/cvspserver
		groups = yes
		log_on_failure += USERID
		flags = REUSE IPv6
		mdns = no
		disable = no
		user = root
		}

NOTE : Note especially the "server" and "server_args". Wrong information
here will result in "connection actively refused" when trying to
authenticate. If you're using normal inetd, not xinetd, read the section
following this.

xinetd.conf or inetd.conf file :
-------------
cvspserver stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/cvs
cvs --allow-root=/demo authserver

Check login : telnet 192.168.24.105 2401

With pserver and sserver, the passwords are stored on the client side in
a trivial encoding of the cleartext and in the pserver case transmitted
in the same encoding. The encoding is done only to prevent inadvertent
password compromises (i.e., a system administrator accidentally looking
at the file), and will not prevent even a naive attacker from gaining the
password. With Sserver, the client/server connection is encrypted using
SSL, and the risk of the password being sniffed on the wire is very
low.Do you have created a certificate for cvsnt?