[cvsnt] Bug id format?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Jan 11 21:59:25 GMT 2009

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:49:35 -0200, Gerhard Fiedler
<lists at connectionbrazil.com> wrote:

>>> Somewhat related to this... is it possible at all to place the bug
>>> id (if present) into the subject line of the notification emails?
>>>
>> If you tell me how it can be extracted from the data supplied in the
>> CVSNT invocation of CVSMailer....
>
>In my case, there is a string in the commit comment that indicates the
>bug (coming from TortoiseCVS). But I let you know when/if I find
>something how to get it from CVSNT itself.

OK, if it is inside the commit message then it can be extracted by
CVSMailer in a similar way that I extract the Issue number and create
a browsing link for the Issue tracker from it into the email.
This is a marker that the developer must type in himself and enter the
correct number too.

If there is a case for bugid:s as well then it could be defined as a
special marker in the commit message and CVSMailer could use it to
create some kind of action (and put it into the subject line).
If you use the issue link, would it be OK to put the issue ID number
into the subject as well?
That would be simple to do since I already handle the issue number to
create the link into the Roundup Issue tracker (in my case).

>> Notice that this is similar also to the requests I have had to put
>> branch tags in teh subject etc. THe problem is that every single file
>> being committed can have a different tag and I guess a different
>> bugid. So which one should be put in the subject?
>
>For my case, the first one would be ok, as would be anyone, or all of
>them; we use TortoiseCVS and it only allows one bug id per commit.
>(Which is a better idea anyway; I'm not sure there is a convincing case
>for multiple bug ids per commit.)
>
>> However there is a case for putting bugid:s on the individual file
>> name line in the *body* of the email.
>
>That's also a good thing. In general, once you have it extracted, it
>should be relatively easy to make it available for both subject and
>body.

Except if there is a zillion different bug-id:s for the various files
then the subject would be quickly saturated. There is a definite size
limit here, you know. I had to change CVSMailer in order to handle
this for subjects that crashed a user's mailer system....

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)