[cvsnt] Removing directorires from repository

Erik Larsson catacombae at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 06:47:03 GMT 2009

Yogesh Chaudhari wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have the following empty directory structure in repository. I want to
> delete all the folders AttributeMetadata, when I when I take update with
> prune empty directories option(i.e. cvs update -P (in directory) ) it
> deletes all directories.
> But when I take updates with getClean copy and create missing directories in
> the repository option (i.e.cvs update -d -C (in directory
> C:\cvsroot\CCI\Applications\EIAM\ata\DynamicView\src\) ), It will again
> crate the same directory structure.
> Does it means that directory structure still present in the repositry?
> If yes, how can I delete it permanently from repository.
>
> Any help would be appriciated

The whole point of a version control system is that nothing is ever
really deleted... old versions and deleted files are present in the
repository, but only marked as deleted.
As I understand it, CVS only versions files and not directories... i.e.
there is no way to mark a directory as deleted... and that is why the
"prune" option exists to avoid lots of empty directory trees where there
used to be files. Unfortunately this also makes it impossible to have
empty directories as part of your project's structure.

You can always manually delete directories from the directory on the
CVSNT server where the repository resides if you really, really need to
throw away the versioned files in that directory, but that would be
defeating the purpose of version control.

- Erik