[cvsnt] network settings to connect

Mike Kay mikekay at channelk.ca
Wed Mar 25 16:41:14 GMT 2009

Greetings. I think I am getting somewhere - but I'm not sure.

Here is I hope to accomplish.

I have coders located in remote locations. They need to be able to connect
up the the CVS server, check in code, check out code, and most importantly
merge code. I then backup the code from the CVS server.

My setup:
I have a CVS server set up behind a firewall. This server is a win 2003 box.
I have CVSNT installed on this box and a repository defined. In this
directory is code that has been FTPd there.
I believe I have the ports opened on both the firewall and the CVS server.
I KNOW the CVS server port is opened. Double checking the firewall.

So I'm trying to log in using WinCVS. Just login. I go to Admin - login.
I click the button ...   CVSROOT is selected.
The next dialog box opens up and I have numerous options. Here is how I'm
setup:
Protocol - sspi
Username/password - I have checked to make sure that the username is
valid, the password is valid, and the user has rights to the root dir of
the CVS. On the CVSNT machine under the Server Settings Tab I have the Run
as user set to the same user as I am trying to log on as.
Hostname: I am not sure what to put here.  If I enter the public IP that I
believe I should be using, then I get the following error message:CVS
exited normally with code 0.

So I tried adding a new repository under the remote dropdown. I added all
the same information for a remote repository. I get the following error
message:Protocol error: Root request missing.

I have tried reading the documentation - it is not oriented to Windows
users well. I am UNDER the gun by my bosses to get this working.

Any help - suggestions,links, or advice would be MORE than appreciated.

If you need any more information, please let me know.

Thank you!