[cvsnt] network settings to connect

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Mar 26 00:36:54 GMT 2009

>On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:41:14 -0400 (EDT), "Mike Kay"
><mikekay at channelk.ca> wrote:
>
>>Greetings. I think I am getting somewhere - but I'm not sure.
>>
>>Here is I hope to accomplish.
>>
>>I have coders located in remote locations. They need to be able to connect
>>up the the CVS server, check in code, check out code, and most importantly
>>merge code. I then backup the code from the CVS server.
>>
>>My setup:
>>I have a CVS server set up behind a firewall. This server is a win 2003 box.
>>I have CVSNT installed on this box and a repository defined. In this
>>directory is code that has been FTPd there.
>>I believe I have the ports opened on both the firewall and the CVS server.
>>I KNOW the CVS server port is opened. Double checking the firewall.
>>
>>So I'm trying to log in using WinCVS. Just login. I go to Admin - login.
>>I click the button ...   CVSROOT is selected.
>>The next dialog box opens up and I have numerous options. Here is how I'm
>>setup:
>>Protocol - sspi
>>Username/password - I have checked to make sure that the username is
>>valid, the password is valid, and the user has rights to the root dir of
>>the CVS. On the CVSNT machine under the Server Settings Tab I have the Run
>>as user set to the same user as I am trying to log on as.
>>Hostname: I am not sure what to put here.  If I enter the public IP that I
>>believe I should be using, then I get the following error message:CVS
>>exited normally with code 0.
>>
>>So I tried adding a new repository under the remote dropdown. I added all
>>the same information for a remote repository. I get the following error
>>message:Protocol error: Root request missing.
>>
>>I have tried reading the documentation - it is not oriented to Windows
>>users well. I am UNDER the gun by my bosses to get this working.
>>
>>Any help - suggestions,links, or advice would be MORE than appreciated.
>>
>>If you need any more information, please let me know.
>>
>>Thank you!
>>

>Even though it is a bit outdated now, I believe that the parts after
>setting up the server in my installation tips might help:
>
>http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html
>
>for example starting right here:
>http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html#ConfigureServer

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:55:41 -0400 (EDT), "Mike Kay"
<mikekay at channelk.ca> wrote:

>Greetings.  Thanks a lot for sending the links to your instructions.  They
>are a little out of date, but helped a lot! Most excellent.
>
>I uninstalled and reinstalled CVSNT according to your instructions. Here's
>where I ran into a problem..
>
>set cvsroot=:sspi:<computername>:/TEST
>cvs passwd -a <account name>
>
>Mine looked like this:
>set cvsroot=:sspi:CVS:/test - this seemed to work.
>cvs passwd -a remote1 - gave me the following error message:
>cvs passwd: CVSROOT "sspi:CVS/test" must be an absolute pathname
>CVS [passwd aborted]: Bad CVSROOT.
>
>I am not on a domain.  I have a user account named remote1 on the machine.
>
>Any suggestions most appreciated.

1) You have replied with no subject, thus moving your post fully out
of the therad where it belongs so people will have trouble finding the
context....
I am trying to rectify this now.

2) Please describe what you want to accomplish. It is foggy to me.

3) Please copy/paste the exact commands and responses you have. I can
see from the above that this has not been done.

4) You can only communicate with a repository if it has been crated,
which you do in the CVSNT control panel. So if you have created a
repository somewhere and named it /test then the cvsroot will become
like this:
:sspi:cvsserver:/test
where cvsserver is replaced with the actual host name of the cvs
server (probably not CVS as you have shown above).

5) Why are you fiddling with the passwd command? When using SSPI as
the protocol you don't need this at all, all users on the cvs server
machine will get access based on the priviliges of their own user
accounts.

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)