[cvsnt] import command - and comments

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Mar 26 20:56:55 GMT 2009

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:47:34 -0400 (EDT), "Mike Kay"
<mikekay at channelk.ca> wrote:

>I entered this:
>
>set cvsroot=:sspi:username:/test

Should be
set CVSROOT=:sspi:cvsserver:/test
Note that the username is never used with sspi (well, for now
anyways).

>It seemed to work as I got no error messages.

Setting environment variables in Windows never cause error messages.

>Now I try the import command: cvs import -m "comments" mystuff/test WW start

1) You can omit the -m option because then cvs will open a Notepad
window for you to fill in the comment. Enter notes below the already
supplied header lines and then close Notepad and accept to save.

2) The import command starts with the files in the current dir.
But since import is recursive you will import subdirectories too.
The name of the created module on the server with reference to the top
of the repository is what you enter after the command options. So
maybe you should use test/mystuff instead? This creates a module named
mystuff in a top level module called test. The created modulet will
contain submodules (the directories) with files.

3) The two last parameters WW and start can be omitted by using the -n
option. These just create tags and branches which usually are not
useful for most people.

so:

cd c:\myprojects\mystuff  (where mystuff files live)
set cvsroot=:sspi:cvsserver:/test
cvs import -n -d -C test/mystuff

This will create the new module test/mystuff and the options do:

-n  import without creating vendor and release tags.
    Used with initial imports.

-d  Use the current file dates as the date of each file in CVS

-C  Convert the import directory into a sandbox so you can immediately
    start working and using CVS. Without this you would have to check
    out the newly created module from CVS to use it...

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)