[cvsnt] Another couple of questions from a newbie

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-cvsnt at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Nov 3 03:52:00 GMT 2009

En Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:49:10 -0300, Rodrigo <racastilho at hotmail.com>
escribió:

> Another couple of questions from a newbie (my server machine runs CVSNT
> Server, my client machine runs WinCVS):
>
> 1) How do I remove module from my current repository?

If you want to completely remove a top level module (so all traces of its
existence are gone) - remove the corresponding directory in the
repository; this must be done on the server. I think this is only sensible
on a test server, or a test module. Usually you WANT to keep history,
that's the whole point of using a versioning system, ok?

If you want to remove a subdirectory inside another module, delete all its
contents (from the working copy, cvs remove; use the -P option in cvs
update)

> 2) How do delete a complete repository, to start a new one?

Delete the corresponding directory on the server. Again, this has any
sense for a testing server.

> 3) If I want to replace my CVS Server machine, do I simply copy the
> repository directory from the old to the new machine, or are there other
> things I need to do?

Basically, yes. You must replicate the same configuration on the new
server (using the CVSNT control panel; settings are stored in the
registry, if you want to export and import them). Also, you should review
the configuration files and copy any script referenced there.

> 4) When should I use the "release" command from WinCVS?

I don't know about WinCVS, but the CVSNT release command is used to tell
CVSNT that you are not interested in working with that directory anymore.
Optionally, it may remove all CVS control files, or all files.

> 5) If I want to import a module and start working on it immediately,
> should I check out the module right after importing it into the
> repository?

Pass. I don't know the WinCVS workflow. With TortoiseCVS, it is enough to
use the "Create new module" menu option followed by "Add contents" and a
final "Commit".

--
Gabriel Genellina