[cvsnt] What are 3-way conflicts?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 15 03:56:15 BST 2009

> Eric,
>
> > I've been trying to find some information that can help me
> > understand exactly what 3-way conflicts really are. WinCVS
> > has an option to produce 3-way conflict files, which I
> > believe translates to the -3 switch in CVSNT.
> >
> > According the the cvsnt docs, -3 switch "Provide 3-way
> > conflicts.". However, I have no idea what that means.
> >
> > I've done a google search on 3way conflicts, but cannot seem
> > to find anything relevant anywhere.
> >
> > Can anyone point me to some useful reference information
> > and/or exmaples as to way exactly 3way conflict files are?
> >

> Search for '3 way merge' instead:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merge_(revision_control)

Thanks for the link.  I know what a 3-way merge is; have used that before myself.  However, in WinCVS, on the merge page, there is the option for a 3 way merge (ie: specify 2 different versions), but there is also the option of creating a "3-way conflict" file.  I'm not quite sure/clear what that option is for.  ie: what's the difference whether or not I enable that option?  What does CVS do differently if merging 2 revisions with the switch enabled vs without it?

Thanks,

Eric