[evs] EVS Crash

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Sun Dec 2 22:47:33 GMT 2007

Thanks for the bug report.

>  SET CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at dev.eclipse.org:/cvsroot/eclipse
> EVS.EXE -z9 checkout -d SWT -r HEAD org.eclipse.swt

Yep - I've reproduced that  - thanks.

The server dev.eclipse.org is CVS 1.12.12, not an EVS server, at this point
in time I am primarily canvassing for people to test EVS Server with either
EVS Client, or any CVS/CVSNT client.

EVS Client provides March Hare with some business benefits (it's newer -
simpler and easier to maintain than CVSNT and CVS clients) and it also
supports some new EVS commands (that only work with EVS Server).  So for a
user of CVS 1.12.12 like yourself, the EVS client really does not provide
any benefit - it probably never will, hence why I am primarily interested in
testing the server at this point.

I've looked at the code, and documented the crash reasons in a bug (bug
5112).  I've fixed the "crash" but the checkout still doesn't work for
reasons that may be related to the crash or may not be related to the
crash...

Ive also created bug 5113 which lists things that should be a part of the
automated EVS tests - and added a test that the EVS server should handle
modules with a "period" in the name like org.eclipse.swt.  I will test this
the next time I do an EVS build.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Arthur