[evs] Current Status

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Sat Feb 10 20:19:12 GMT 2007

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> In theory you could batch commands.. that's just a matter of where the
> database commits are.

It would also require some additional mechanism on the client side to
indicate multiple commands are coming, and if they can be introduced all
at once (e.g. a script) or interactively.  Something like a MySQL client
where you're in a shell would probably be required for the latter -- so
you know when to commit or rollback the transaction, and can keep the
link to the server open.  Lots more complexity, certainly not for an
early release I wouldn't think, but it's good to know it's possible.

> I'm not sure it would be worth supporting databases that didn't have
> transactions.. we kinda rely on them to handle the rollback if anything
> goes wrong.  Even sqlite has transactions...

I didn't realize that -- I thought we supported at least one that didn't
support transactions.  That's a pleasant surprise.  It's unquestionably
better to only support transacted databases since there are multiple DB
operations even per CVS operation.

> One question:  Would anyone be particularly upset if the generated RCS
> revision numbers weren't sequential?

IMHO it wouldn't matter.  We've been steering people away from the
revision numbers for some time now, and my expectation was that they
were going away entirely.  Having them non-sequential yet still
ascending would be analogous to having some interim commits removed, so
it should already be supported by the major tools out there.

Keep up the good work!

--
Glen Starrett
Technical Account Manager, North America

http://march-hare.com/cvspro/