[evs] Branching on commit, merge documentation

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Wed Sep 5 12:27:52 BST 2007

Hello,

I just had an interesting conversation with a developer who uses monotone.
Two features he uses seemed very interesting to me, and maybe you guys
consider that for evs...

One is about branching on commit. The way cvsnt currently works is that if
I have local changes and there were changes in the repository since I
updated, I have to update and merge my local copy. If the changes are
minor, that's usually ok. But sometimes I'd like to have a record of the
sources before the merge, and being able to create a branch so to speak on
the fly during commit would be helpful here.

Another is the merge documentation. We have that already partially with the
merge points, but this could go a bit further and also include the start
and end of two-point merges. This is information one has to track anyway,
so why not have the version control system track it, by storing all end
points of merges?

Thanks,
Gerhard