[evs] Branching on commit, merge documentation

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Sep 10 23:46:02 BST 2007

Gerhard,

>> Instead of doing a double j merge, commit with a bug id and use a single
>> j merge plus bugid, then only the changes represented by the changeset
>> will be merged.
>
> Yes, I knew that. And it is not the merge process I'm talking about, it's
> the documentation of the merge: being able to run a log on a file later
> and
> see what got merged from where to where. Merge points now provide this for
> normal single j merges from branch to branch, but I don't think that bugid
> merges do (and neither do double j merges).

The -B "changeset" option must also be specified with a single -j, so if you
merge with a -j and -B then yes you do end up with a mergepoint that you can
"see" in the revision graph view of TCVS.

The reason why you have to specify a -j with a -B on merge, is the same bug
can be fixed on many branches (in different ways), so the -j specifies WHICH
branch changeset you want to merge to this branch.

Clearer?  None of this is obviously in the manual... ;)  Do you want commit
rights to the repo so you can amend the docbook?  You can either get a
docbook editor (I can dig up the name of the one Tony uses) or you can just
use notepad for small changes (which is what I do).

Regards,

Arthur