[evs] EVS stable 3.1.01 build 3292

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Dec 30 22:11:09 GMT 2008

Here is the first stable release of EVS including EVSManager and Migrate:
http://www.evscm.org/modules/Downloads/

There is currently NO installation guide (the beta guide is out of date) and
NO evaluation guide. A dramatically improved EVSManager will be available in
February.

The purpose of this milestone was to release a stable build that is
functionally equivalent to CVSNT and (with the odd exception) SVN, plus
these features:
* a fast "rtag"
* rename and move
* transactional database (atomic commit and checkout with automatic
rollback)
* a single windows service evsmanager that provides:
 + CVS/CVSNT port 2401 services
 + CVSNT Lock Service port 2402 services
 + SVN Services
 + use of web folders to create revisions of files in a repository
 + integrated web browsing of the repository

The February release will add the following to evsmanager:
 + VSTS Services
 + integrated defect tracking
 + richer user interface with better process support
 + support for checkout/document management via the EVSManager interface
 + graphs and reporting

EVSCM is the first SCM system with support for the open "CVS protocol" that
has no file (or RCS) backend but a relational SQL database. This has not
been done simply for the "cool" factor - but because it creates a platform
that we can build more advanced functionality on in a very robust way.

Please post your comments and bug reports to support.evs on the
news.cvsnt.org (nntp/news) server or via the e-mail mailing list:

If you wish to assist with porting to Linux or other platforms please post
to support.evs-dev on the news.cvsnt.org (nntp/news) serveror via the e-mail
mailing list:

We will not be making any additional builds of EVS for several weeks, but
each bug posted to the newsgroup will be recorded and Tony will analyse it
to make an estimate of the effort to fix. In around 6 weeks we will look at
each of these and prioritise them then look at scheduling. Of course if
anyone else wants to simply get in and fix stuff we'd be delighted. If you
post a bug I will most likely then give you write access to our bugzilla so
you can update it and post more bugs. Ditto with submitting patches for EVS.

Note: the source code to EVSManager is not available, and there is a post on
the support.evs newsgroup dated 30/Sep/2007 with the subject "EvsManager"
explaining this.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett
Product Manager