[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Feb 5 21:00:43 GMT 2008

Gerhard,

>>> - Merging of renamed/relocated files to reflect the new name/location in
>>> the merge
>>
>> This is from your previous post. I'd like to see some market assessment
>> as well as user assessment before going much further - I think you were
>> checking up on Perforce right?
>
> I've already stated that I can't see this not making sense; after all, not
> merging the renames is guaranteed to break any standard build system, so
> in
> most cases this would have to be done manually if it isn't automated. I
> can't see how this fits into what I understand of your "safe use" policy
> towards repositories and merges.

It's been a very long time since I've needed to modify a makefile because a
file changed it's name or a file was added.  There is syntax to look for all
*.c files (or whatever) and loop cc -c {filename} or whatever.

Yes I can see that if you merge a change in a makefile that changes the
filename from fred.c to fred.cpp and the same merge doesn't change the
filename then you have a problem - but the problem is in the build system
not the CM system.  Yes I do believe we need a better open source build
system - there is no equivalent for things like 'clearmake' in the FOSS
world and there should be.

Regards,

Arthur