[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Feb 5 21:07:40 GMT 2008

Eric,

> A perfect example for how renames are important are in Java programming.
> In Java, the class name must match the filename.  So for example, a file
> called TestExample.java would contain a class called TestExample.
> Furthermore, it's path within my project determines its package.  So my
> src/eric/test/TestExample.java class would actually be referred to as
> eric.test.TestExample() in my code.  If I renamed my class from
> TestExample to Example, and moved it to src/eric/functional/Example.Java I
> would be forced to then rename my class obect to Example.java.  And then
> within my code, I would start referring to it as
> eric.functional.Example().
>
> So when I merge my branch back, if those file renames/moves aren't carried
> over in some way or another, I would find myself with build errors all
> over the place, and be forced to figure out which filenames have changes
> and rename them a second time.

Yes - not having a Java developer on staff means that we are just oblivious
to this sort of thing till someone raises it.

As much as non-Java programmers think that this behaviour of the java
compiler is ludicrous, it's not about to change, and there is a lot of Java
development going on so we need to support it well.

Tony has his head stuck in some pretty complex code right now but I have
asked him to read this thread and comment on it ASAP.

Based on your description I think that yes EVS v1 should support 'merge
renames' - whether that is the default or an option - it's a part of the
'rename problem' for Java developers.  Me wanting it in v1 doesn't
automatically make it happen though, our next planning meeting is on the
18th.

Regards,

Arthur