[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Feb 7 04:07:35 GMT 2008

Eric,

> True - I had forgotten about that.  I guess I've never really used that
> option as it is only available in Tortoise (I mostly use WinCVS).  I don't
> believe that WinCVS supports it in the interface, does it?  The Eclipse
> integration definitely does not.  I guess it is really more of an issue
> for the client tools to support the options better.

In the current commercial editions you can specify "bug1234" in the message
text and provided the "message to bug" conversion is enabled on the server -
the server translates that to a -B option.  That takes care of backward
compatibility with non-CVSNT clients.  The source is in the tree - so if you
compile from the branch CVSNT_BRANCH_2_5_03_2382 then you get that stuff -
I just don't have enough hours in the day to port all this to 2.5.04 at the
moment - but it will eventually happen.

The "message to bug" is an important feature that I do want to see in EVS
sooner rather than later, but it probably wont be added until the last
minute since it's realtively self contained and we've got more critical
functions to get working...

Regards,

Arthur