[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Feb 7 04:14:42 GMT 2008

Eric,

> I would guess / expect in that case that once EVS starts to build a
> foundation base, and gains support in the community, we may begin to see
> more native EVS clients that could bypass the compatibility layer and
> communicate directly using native EVS APIs.

Personally I'm not so sure about that.  99% of what people need to do on a
day to day basis can be done using a legacy client like cvs or cvsnt, so I
don't see a lot of benefit in writing new eclipse clients, mac clients etc
etc.  It's just wasted effort.

I think far more likely is that you'll 'existing users' use existing
clients, and new users use the webdav interface (a bit like the clearcase
dynamic view - you just mount http://server/myrepo/project/hello onto h:
drive and edit away - each change is automatically versioned.  Admin will be
done through the web interface (including being able to go back and add
meaningful comments to all those changes, thought I'd like to see some
variation to the 'map network drive' feature that you could specify a change
set, eg: mount http://server/myrepo/project/hello?bug=1234 instead ).

As you've pointed out - the main reason to use a 'native' client would be to
get UTF8 tag/branch names and descriptions etc - these are mostly
administrative.