[evs] Does EVS remove some of CVS limitations?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri Feb 8 22:49:51 GMT 2008

Eric,

> frighteningly fast & high.  I am utterly amazed at how many converts there
> have been in the last 1-1.5 years, transitioning from CVS to SVN.  I get
> the feeling that one of the reasons was due to the perception that CVSNT
> development had "stalled", whereas SVN appeared to be a lot more active.

SVN may be more active but it still doesn't have the features that CVSNT
users take for granted like mergepoints, reserved mode and changesets - let
alone more advanced features like audit.

> I also suppose part of the reason of ppl migrating to SVN may be because
> it seems that it is more of a Open Source, collaborative project, with
> many ppl coding and contributing

I disagree - from what i can see it's still just the collabnet employees.
The main thing driving SVN migration is developers love of the 'new thing'
and heavy promotion by o'rielly who is on the collabnet board and has
therefore a vested interest in it's success.

Regards,

Arthur