[evs] Migrate utility failed

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Apr 20 17:28:15 BST 2009

Colin Fraser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been evaluating EVS and have successfully installed it and accessed it
> with the command line client and a few test files which works fine.  I am
> now trying to migrate a fairly large existing repository using the Migrate
> utility but this has failed.
>
> I pointed it at the legacy CVSNT 2.5.03 repository and the new EVS
> repository and it began processing but after an hour or so it failed.  I
> didn't write down the message that was shown (not a popup, just the wizard
> ending), but was something related to a problem retrieving tags/revisions.
>
> Are there any log files generated that could help me identify the problem?
> This repository does have a lot of tags and branches so I was expecting
> there might be problems here.  I'm running EVS & SQL server express on a Win
> 2k3 box and the Migrate client from an XP SP3 box.

It has been tested on some large repositories so size shouldn't be too
much of a problem.  Migrate will write a log file.. I'll post the
details when I get to a copy tomorrow morning (unless Arthur turns up in
the meantime with the info).

During testing generally the only things that tended to go wrong were
the loss of the link to the remote machine - migrate will retry a few
times but eventually give up.  It should come up with a prompt though if
that happens.