[cvsnt-dev] Re: Reboot on NT4/2K/XP/2k3?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Fri Dec 16 20:54:07 UTC 2005

Robin McLeod wrote:

> However, you can avoid a reboot by sending a WM_SETTINGCHANGE notification,
> e.g.
> SendMessageTimeout(HWND_BROADCAST, WM_SETTINGCHANGE, 0,
> (LPARAM)"Environment", SMTO_ABORTIFHUNG, 5000, &retval);

You never modify such things directly - the MSI subsystem does this
taking into account platform differences - it's only necessary to
request that MSI modifies the environment.

Also, most applications will *not* take any notice of this when the
change is made to the system path, only when it is made to the user
path.  Unfortunately, explorer is one of these applications (explorer
will in fact pick it up on the next login, but running services will not
see it until the next reboot).  cvsnt does not bother with the reboot
after setting that, but it's really recommended if any command line work
is going to be done.

> As for LSASRV.DLL, I used handle from www.sysinternals.com to check on it
> and it's not in use when cvsnt isn't running so a reboot shouldn't be
> required to replace it on most systems (just stop the cvsnt services before
> copying the files during upgrades).

Nope.  The LSASS.EXE (LSASRV is a user component and is only loosely
related) is always running and locked when the system is booted (if you
*do* manage to terminate it, the system will immediately force an
emergency shutdown.. there was a virus that did that some time back).
Any DLL loaded by it is also locked for the entireity of the windows
session - partly this is a security measure.. it's impossible to modify
the active authentication even with administrator privileges.  You also
can't add new modules without a reboot - probably for the same reason.

 > As for MSI rebooting for no reason, that's entirely possible as I
 > don't use
 > it but it certainly isn't acceptable behaviour to force a reboot
 > just-in-case.

If you're installing CVSNT you're using MSI... whether to reboot largely
is the decision of the installer, and takes into account all sorts of
things like locked files, etc.  All CVSNT does is force a reboot for the
LSA change which it has to.  Any other times are entirely at the
discretion of the installer subsystem, and I'd trust that to know what
it's doing as it's a part of the OS.