[cvsnt-dev] Re: Next build issue on Solaris

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Feb 11 17:13:17 GMT 2005

Richard Wirth wrote:

> BTW. Why do you intend to switch to LGPL for cvsnt (in whole?)?

At least for the common libraries it's useful.  Linking with CVSNT is
limited at the moment to GPL projects only, which is not so useful when
I'm trying to build a framework that will work in commercial
environments.  LGPL lets me for example create an SCC API or COM plugin,
and C# and Java Libraries which the GPL won't.

I'd like people to be able to make trigger libraries for example under
any license, without having to GPL everything...  that's why everything
they need to include and use is LGPL - it keeps the separation and
maintains the authors right to do what they want with their own code.

There's still the issue of the Mysql link in cvsapi that needs to go
(it's done using late binding so if you don't call it you're probably
OK... it's a grey area though).

Of course I can't change the existing license of much of the code... if
I'm sure I'm the only one who has done work with it I've changed it but
the core will probably always be GPL (it doesn't matter so much for the
executable image though).  The important thing to me is all the
shareable libraries that are useful for extending cvsnt are in as free a
license as I can manage.