[cvsnt] Edit in offline mode

pushok contact at pushok.com
Wed Jul 2 21:27:01 BST 2003

    I am understand that for some reasons and projects the offline
edit/unedit can be dangerous and unwanted behavior. Since it will impossible
 to know is file now edited or not.
     But in the same time, well known, that cvs pretty well work via low
 bandwidth connection (just the simple modem), and there many guys that use
 it to work both at work and at home. Also known that with dialup connection
 you need pay for time, so it is important to be online only for the small
 time, only to update and commit commands. And exactly from this point it is
 important to make edit\unedit in online.
     It is absolutely clear that I can start modify file without
edit\unedit,
 just making it writable. And I can later successfully commit this file, but
 I cannot unedit it.
     And the most important that the default CVS behavior allows offline
edit
 and unedit, and more other this is explicetly described in documentation.
     For me this is not so important, but I am author of SCC integration
tool
 (www.pushok.com) and I have many requests from users, that slightly
 surprised that offline edit\unedit not work.
     Once again it is possible to make simple file writable, but for me this
 is more dangerous that offline edit\unedit.
     So may be possible to return back default behavior and make current
 behavior controlled via some option? For example for edit -c I think normal
 behavior is fails in offline, but simple edit should work, I think.

 Igor Pushkov